top of page
  • Shepherd Partnership

Apply for National Insurance credits if you’re a parent or carer

HMRC have updated their guidance on National Insurance (NI) credits to confirm that carers of a child under 12 and kinship carers can apply for credits using form CF411A.

NI credits are for those not paying NI through their wages, for example when you're claiming benefits, you're ill, unemployed or a carer.

If you’re a parent or carer of a child under 12 you should automatically get credits if you claim Child Benefit.

If you or your partner are registered for Child Benefit you can:

  • apply for credits missing from your National Insurance record

  • transfer credits from a spouse or partner

If you’re a foster or kinship carer you can apply for National Insurance credits. You’ll need to provide supporting evidence with your form.

Please click here to view the guidance.

39 views0 comments


bottom of page