top of page
  • Shepherd Partnership

NIC relief for those who employ veterans

Employers who take on those who have worked for the UK military can claim relief on secondary employer’s national insurance contributions (NICs) for a veteran who has started their first civilian job regardless of when they left the regular armed forces.

The relief is available for any former member of the regular armed services. HMRC defines a veteran as someone who has completed one day of employment in the armed services and has completed at least one day of basic training.

The 12-month relief period begins on the veteran’s first day of civilian employment. The employer is responsible for checking whether an employee qualifies for the relief and will need to keep appropriate records.

24 views0 comments


bottom of page